Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various opuntias having bristly, flattened stem segments, often colorful flowers, and ovoid prickly fruit.
2. The edible fruit of certain of these cactuses.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of various tropical cacti of the genus Opuntia, having flattened or cylindrical spiny joints and oval fruit that is edible in some species. See also cholla, nopal2
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these plants
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of numerous cacti of the genus Opuntia, having flattened, usu. spiny stem joints, yellow, orange, or reddish flowers, and ovoid, often edible fruit.
2. the usu. prickly fruit of such a cactus.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||prickly pear - cacti having spiny flat joints and oval fruit that is edible in some species; often used as food for stock|
prickly pear - round or pear-shaped spiny fruit of any of various prickly pear cacti
cactus - any succulent plant of the family Cactaceae native chiefly to arid regions of the New World and usually having spines
|2.||prickly pear - round or pear-shaped spiny fruit of any of various prickly pear cacti|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.