Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. pri·ma·cies
1. The state of being first or foremost.
2. Ecclesiastical The office, rank, or province of primate.
[Middle English primacie, from Old French, from Medieval Latin prīmātia, office of church primate, from Latin prīmās, prīmāt-, of first rank; see primate.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -cies
1. the state of being first in rank, grade, etc
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity the office, rank, or jurisdiction of a primate or senior bishop or (in the Roman Catholic Church) the pope
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pri•ma•cy(ˈpraɪ mə si)
n., pl. -cies.
1. the state of being first in order, rank, importance, etc.
2. the office, rank, or dignity of an ecclesiastical primate.
3. the jurisdiction of a bishop, as a patriarch, over other bishoprics, or the supreme jurisdiction of the pope as supreme bishop.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Medieval Latin prīmātia, alter. of Latin prīmātus (prīm(us) prime]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||primacy - the state of being first in importance|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun supremacy, leadership, command, dominance, superiority, dominion, ascendancy, pre-eminence He saw this as a challenge to his primacy.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
primacy[ˈpraɪməsɪ] N → primacía f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
primacy[ˈpraɪməsi] (formal) n → primauté f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
primacy[ˈpraɪməsɪ] n (frm) → supprema importanza
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995