Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to priming: priming pump
1. The act of one that primes.
2. The explosive used to ignite a charge.
3. A preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface.
1. something used to prime
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a substance, used to ignite an explosive charge
1. the powder or other material used to ignite a charge.
2. the act of a person or thing that primes.
3. a first coat or layer of paint, size, etc.
The application of a coat of white paint (usually zinc or lead) to a sized canvas in order to prepare it for painting.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||priming - the act of making something ready|
|2.||priming - any igniter that is used to initiate the burning of a propellant|
detonating fuse - a fuse containing an explosive
igniter, ignitor, lighter, light - a device for lighting or igniting fuel or charges or fires; "do you have a light?"
safety fuse - a slow-burning fuse consisting of a tube or cord filled or saturated with combustible matter; used to ignite detonators from a distance
time-fuse - a fuse made to burn for a given time (especially to explode a bomb)
|3.||priming - the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface|
coat of paint - a layer of paint covering something else
couch - a flat coat of paint or varnish used by artists as a primer