Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to probative: Probative value
pro·ba·tive(prō′bə-tĭv) also pro·ba·to·ry (-tôr′ē)
1. Furnishing evidence or proof.
2. Serving to test, try, or prove.
1. serving to test or designed for testing
2. providing proof or evidence
[C15: from Late Latin probātīvus concerning proof]
pro•ba•tive(ˈproʊ bə tɪv)
also pro•ba•to•ry(-ˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i)
1. serving or designed for testing or trial.
2. affording proof or evidence.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||probative - tending to prove a particular proposition or to persuade you of the truth of an allegation; "evidence should only be excluded if its probative value was outweighed by its prejudicial effect"|