Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A supervisor especially of an examination or dormitory in a school.
tr.v. proc·tored, proc·tor·ing, proc·tors
To supervise (an examination).
[Middle English procutor, proctour, university officer, manager, from procuratour; see procurator.]
proc·to′ri·al (-tôr′ē-əl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Education) a member of the teaching staff of any of certain universities having the duties of enforcing discipline
2. (Education) US (in a college or university) a supervisor or monitor who invigilates examinations, enforces discipline, etc
3. (Law) (formerly) an agent, esp one engaged to conduct another's case in a court
4. (Law) (formerly) an agent employed to collect tithes
5. (Anglicanism) Church of England one of the elected representatives of the clergy in Convocation and the General Synod
(Education) (tr) US to invigilate (an examination)
[C14: syncopated variant of procurator]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person appointed to keep watch over students at examinations.
2. a school official charged with any of various supervisory or disciplinary duties.v.t., v.i.
3. to supervise or monitor.
[1350–1400; Middle English; contracted variant of procurator]
proc•to′ri•al (-ˈtɔr i əl, -ˈtoʊr-) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: proctored
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
A person who supervises at examinations and enforces discipline in a school.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||proctor - someone who supervises (an examination)|
invigilator - someone who watches examination candidates to prevent cheating
supervisor - one who supervises or has charge and direction of
|Verb||1.||proctor - watch over (students taking an exam, to prevent cheating)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N (Jur) → procurador(a) m/f (Brit) (Univ) → censor(a) m/f (oficial que cuida de la disciplina) (US) (Univ) (= invigilator) → celador(a) m/f
B. VT, VI (US) (= invigilate) → vigilar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007