professionalism(redirected from professionalisms)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Professional status, methods, character, or standards.
2. The use of professional performers, as in athletics or in the arts.
1. the methods, character, status, etc, of a professional
2. the pursuit of an activity for gain or livelihood
proˈfessionalist n, adj
pro•fes•sion•al•ism(prəˈfɛʃ ə nlˌɪz əm)
1. professional character, spirit, or methods.
2. the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from those of an amateur.
the standards, views, and behavior of one who engages in an activity, especially sports or the arts, to make his livelihood. Cf. amateurism. — professional, n., adj.See also: Attitudes