prohibition(redirected from prohibitions)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of prohibiting or the condition of being prohibited.
2. A rule or law that forbids something.
a. The forbidding by law of the manufacture, transportation, and sale of alcoholic beverages.
b. Prohibition The period (1920-1933) during which the 18th Amendment forbidding the manufacture, transportation, and sale of alcoholic beverages was in force in the United States.
1. the act of prohibiting or state of being prohibited
2. an order or decree that prohibits
3. (Historical Terms) (sometimes capital) (esp in the US) a policy of legally forbidding the manufacture, transportation, sale, or consumption of alcoholic beverages except for medicinal or scientific purposes
4. (Law) law an order of a superior court (in Britain the High Court) forbidding an inferior court to determine a matter outside its jurisdiction
(Historical Terms) the period (1920–33) when the manufacture, sale, and transportation of intoxicating liquors was banned by constitutional amendment in the US
pro•hi•bi•tion(ˌproʊ əˈbɪʃ ən)
1. the act of prohibiting.
a. the legal prohibiting of the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcoholic beverages.
b. (usu. cap.) the period (1920–33) during which such prohibition was in effect in the U.S.
3. a law or decree that forbids.
1920–33 legislation prohibiting the sale of alcohol which led to illicit sales and gangsterism.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||prohibition - a law forbidding the sale of alcoholic beverages; "in 1920 the 18th amendment to the Constitution established prohibition in the US"|
law - legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"
|2.||prohibition - a decree that prohibits something |
decree, fiat, edict, rescript, order - a legally binding command or decision entered on the court record (as if issued by a court or judge); "a friend in New Mexico said that the order caused no trouble out there"
banning-order - an order that bans something
cease and desist order, enjoining, enjoinment, injunction - (law) a judicial remedy issued in order to prohibit a party from doing or continuing to do a certain activity; "injunction were formerly obtained by writ but now by a judicial order"
|3.||prohibition - the period from 1920 to 1933 when the sale of alcoholic beverages was prohibited in the United States by a constitutional amendment|
|4.||prohibition - refusal to approve or assent to|
refusal - the act of refusing
interdiction - authoritative prohibition
|5.||prohibition - the action of prohibiting or inhibiting or forbidding (or an instance thereof); "they were restrained by a prohibition in their charter"; "a medical inhibition of alcoholic beverages"; "he ignored his parents' forbiddance"|
action - something done (usually as opposed to something said); "there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
to forbid. Smoking is prohibited. verbied يَمْنَع забранявам proibir zakázat verbieten forbyde απαγορεύωprohibir keelama ممنوع کردن kieltää interdire לֶאֱסוֹר निषेध करना (meg)tilt melarang banna proibire 禁止する 금지하다 (už)drausti aizliegt melarang verbiedenforbyzabronić منع كول proibir a interzice запрещать zakázať prepovedati zabraniti förbjuda ห้าม yasaklamak 禁止 забороняти منع کرنا cấm 禁止prohibition (prəuiˈbiʃən) noun
1. the act of prohibiting. We demand the prohibition by the government of the sale of this drug. verbod مَنْع забраняване proibição zákaz das Verbot forbud απαγόρευσηprohibición keeld ممنوعیت kieltäminen interdictionאיסור निषेध, प्रतिषेध tilalom larangan bann proibizione 禁止 금지 (už)draudimas aizliegums larangan verbodforbudzakaz مخنيوى proibição prohibiţie, interzicere запрещение zákaz prepoved prohibicija förbud การห้าม yasaklama 禁止 заборона منع، رکاوٹ sự ngăn cấm 禁止
2. a rule, law etc forbidding something. The headmaster issued a prohibition against bringing knives into school. verbod قانون يَمْنَع забрана proibição zákaz das Verbot forbud απαγόρευση, απαγορευτικός νόμος ή κανόνας prohibición keeld, keeluseadus منع kielto interdictionאיסור नशाबंदी, मद्य निषेध eltiltás larangan bann divieto 禁止令 금지령 draudimas aizliegums peraturan verbod forbud/regel mot zakaz منع،مخنيوى proibição interdicţie запрет zákaz prepoved zabrana förbud ข้อห้าม yasak 禁令 заборона حکم امتناعي qui định cấm 禁令