Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. An undertaking requiring concerted effort: a community cleanup project; a government-funded irrigation project.
2. An extensive task undertaken by a student or group of students to apply, illustrate, or supplement classroom lessons.
3. A plan or proposal for accomplishing something. See Synonyms at plan.
4. also projects A housing project.
v. pro·ject (prə-jĕkt′) pro·ject·ed, pro·ject·ing, pro·jects
1. To thrust outward or forward: project one's jaw in defiance.
2. To throw forward; hurl: project an arrow.
3. To send out into space; cast: project a light beam.
4. To cause (an image) to appear on a surface by the controlled direction of light: projected the slide onto a screen.
5. Mathematics To produce (a projection).
6. To direct (one's voice) so as to be heard clearly at a distance.
7. Psychology To externalize and attribute (an emotion or motive, for example) unconsciously to someone or something else in order to avoid anxiety.
8. To convey an impression of to an audience or to others: a posture that projects defeat.
9. To form a plan or intention for: project a new business enterprise.
10. To calculate, estimate, or predict (something in the future), based on present data or trends: projecting next year's expenses.
1. To extend forward or out; jut out: beams that project beyond the eaves. See Synonyms at bulge.
2. To direct one's voice so as to be heard clearly at a distance.
[Middle English projecte, from Latin prōiectum, projecting structure, from neuter past participle of prōicere, to throw out : prō-, forth; see pro-1 + iacere, to throw; see yē- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
able to be projected
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014