Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to proprietary: proprietary interest
1. Of or relating to a proprietor or to ownership: had proprietary rights.
2. Privately owned, as a business: a proprietary hospital.
3. Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent: a proprietary drug.
n. pl. pro·pri·e·tar·ies
1. A proprietor or group of proprietors.
2. Ownership; proprietorship.
3. A proprietary medicine.
4. One granted ownership of a proprietary colony.
[From Middle English proprietarie, owner of property, from Old French proprietaire and from Medieval Latin proprietārius, both from Late Latin, of a property owner, from Latin proprietās, ownership; see property.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Commerce) of, relating to, or belonging to property or proprietors
2. privately owned and controlled
3. (Pharmacology) med of or denoting a drug or agent manufactured and distributed under a trade name. Compare ethical3
n, pl -taries
4. (Pharmacology) med a proprietary drug or agent
5. (Commerce) a proprietor or proprietors collectively
a. right to property
b. property owned
7. (Historical Terms) Also called: lord proprietary (in Colonial America) an owner, governor, or grantee of a proprietary colony
[C15: from Late Latin proprietārius an owner, from proprius one's own]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pro•pri•e•tar•y(prəˈpraɪ ɪˌtɛr i)
adj., n., pl. -tar•ies. adj.
1. pertaining to, belonging to, or being a proprietor.
2. pertaining to property or ownership.
3. manufactured and sold only by the owner of the patent, trademark, etc.: proprietary medicine.
4. privately owned and operated for profit: proprietary hospitals.n.
5. an owner or proprietor.
6. a body of proprietors.
8. something owned, esp. real estate.
9. a proprietary medicine.
10. the grantee or owner of a proprietary colony.
[1400–50; late Middle English (n.) < Medieval Latin proprietārius owner, n. use of Late Latin adj.: of an owner, of ownership]
pro•pri`e•tar′i•ly (-ˈtɛər ɪ li) adv.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||proprietary - an unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits|
ownership - the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others
|Adj.||1.||proprietary - protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights; "`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form"|
nonproprietary - not protected by trademark or patent or copyright; "nonproprietary products are in the public domain and anyone can produce or distribute them"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[software, information, technology] → propriétaire
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj class → besitzend; attitude, manner → besitzergreifend; proprietary rights → Besitzrecht nt; proprietary article/name → Markenartikel/-name m; proprietary drug → Markenpräparat nt; the author has rather strong proprietary feelings about his work → der Autor sieht sein Werk als persönlichen Besitz an
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
proprietary[prəˈpraɪət/ərɪ] adj (Comm) proprietary article → prodotto con marchio depositato
proprietary brand → marchio di fabbrica
proprietary medicine → specialità farmaceutica
proprietary name → nome depositato or registrato
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995