Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
a. The act of protracting.
b. The state of being protracted.
2. Linguistics The irregular lengthening of a normally short syllable.
1. the act or process of protracting
2. the state or condition of being protracted
3. a prolongation or protrusion
4. an extension of something in time or space
5. something that is extended in time or space
6. (Poetry) the irregular lengthening of a syllable that is usually short
pro•trac•tion(proʊˈtræk ʃən, prə-)
1. the act of protracting; prolongation; extension.
3. something protracted.
4. a drawing or rendering to scale.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||protraction - the consequence of being lengthened in duration|
length, duration - continuance in time; "the ceremony was of short duration"; "he complained about the length of time required"
fermata - (music) a prolongation of unspecified length on a note or chord or rest
|2.||protraction - the act of prolonging something; "there was an indefinite prolongation of the peace talks"|