Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to protrusion: hernia
a. The act of protruding.
b. The state of being protruded.
2. Something that protrudes.
[Latin prōtrūsus, past participle of prōtrūdere, to protrude; see protrude + -ion.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. something that protrudes
2. the state or condition of being protruded
3. the act or process of protruding
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pro•tru•sion(proʊˈtru ʒən, prə-)
1. the act of protruding or the state of being protruded.
2. something that protrudes; projection.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Bulges out like bubble gum before popping —Tom Robbins
- Protruding like a warning finger —Beryl Markham
- [A church spire] standing out conspicuously like an indicating finger —MacDonald Harris
- Standing out unnaturally, like a male harpist in an all-girl orchestra —William Safire
- Stand out like a blind man at a tit show —William Diehl
- Stand out like a polar bear in the desert —Andrew Kaplan
- Stand out like a raisin on a coconut cake —Pat Conroy
- Stands out like a blackberry in a pan of milk —American colloquialism, attributed to Vermont
- Stick out like a bug on a butter knife —Loren D. Estleman
- Sticks out like the belly of a pregnant woman —Robert Lowell
Similes Dictionary, 1st Edition. © 1988 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||protrusion - something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"|
excrescence, extrusion, gibbosity, gibbousness, hump, jut, bulge, protuberance, swelling, bump, prominence
frontal eminence - either prominence of the frontal bone above each orbit
occipital protuberance - prominence on the outer surface of the occipital bone
belly - a part that bulges deeply; "the belly of a sail"
caput - a headlike protuberance on an organ or structure; "the caput humeri is the head of the humerus which fits into a cavity in the scapula"
mogul - a bump on a ski slope
snag - a sharp protuberance
wart - any small rounded protuberance (as on certain plants or animals)
projection - any solid convex shape that juts out from something
|2.||protrusion - the act of projecting out from something|
change of shape - an action that changes the shape of something
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun protuberance, swelling, lump, bump, projection, bulge, hump, jut, outgrowth an ugly protrusion on the ankle where the bone had not set properly
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007