Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Characterized by an inordinate interest in sex: prurient thoughts.
b. Arousing or appealing to an inordinate interest in sex: prurient literature.
2. Inordinately interested in matters of sex; lascivious.
[Latin prūriēns, prūrient-, present participle of prūrīre, to yearn for, itch; see preus- in Indo-European roots.]
pru′ri·ence, pru′ri·en·cy n.
1. (Psychology) unusually or morbidly interested in sexual thoughts or practices
2. exciting or encouraging lustfulness; erotic
[C17: from Latin prūrīre to itch, to lust after]
pru•ri•ent(ˈprʊər i ənt)
1. having or characterized by lascivious or lustful thoughts, desires, etc.
2. causing lasciviousness or lust.
[1630–40; < Latin prūrient- (s. of prūriēns), present participle of prūrīre to itch]
pru′ri•ence, pru′ri•en•cy, n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||prurient - characterized by lust; "eluding the lubricious embraces of her employer"; "her sensuous grace roused his lustful nature"; "prurient literature"; "prurient thoughts"; "a salacious rooster of a little man"|
sexy - marked by or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest; "feeling sexy"; "sexy clothes"; "sexy poses"; "a sexy book"; "sexy jokes"
1. lecherous, longing, lewd, salacious, lascivious, itching, hankering, voyeuristic, lustful, libidinous, desirous, concupiscent our prurient fascination with sexual scandals