Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to psychopathy: antisocial personality disorder
1. A personality disorder characterized by deceitfulness, manipulation, grandiosity, lack of empathy or guilt, and often aggressive or violent behavior. It is sometimes considered a subset of antisocial personality disorder.
2. Mental illness. No longer in clinical use.
1. (Psychiatry) another name for psychopathic personality
2. (Psychiatry) any mental disorder or disease
psy•chop•a•thy(saɪˈkɒp ə θi)
n., pl. -thies.
1. a character or personality disorder distinguished by chronic amoral or antisocial behavior without feelings of remorse.
2. any mental disease.
a disorder of the mind. — psychopathic, adj.See also: Disease and Illness
a mental disorder. — psychopath, n. — psychopathic, adj.See also: Psychology
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||psychopathy - any disease of the mind; the psychological state of someone who has emotional or behavioral problems serious enough to require psychiatric intervention|
mental condition, mental state, psychological condition, psychological state - (psychology) a mental condition in which the qualities of a state are relatively constant even though the state itself may be dynamic; "a manic state"
megalomania - a psychological state characterized by delusions of grandeur
insanity - relatively permanent disorder of the mind
psychosis - any severe mental disorder in which contact with reality is lost or highly distorted