Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The aspect of law concerned with the state acting in its sovereign capacity, as in its interactions with other governments or its prosecution of individuals for crimes.
2. A law affecting the public.
1. (Law) a law that applies to the public of a state or nation
2. (Law) the branch of law that deals with relations between a state and its individual members. Compare private law
1. a law or statute that applies to all the people of a state or nation.
2. the laws dealing with individuals and the state or with relations among government agencies. Compare private law.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||public law - a law affecting the public at large|
law - legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"