puddle(redirected from puddles)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A small pool of water, especially rainwater.
b. A small pool of a liquid.
2. A tempered paste of wet clay and sand that serves as waterproofing when dry.
v. pud·dled, pud·dling, pud·dles
1. To make muddy.
2. To work (clay or sand) into a thick watertight paste.
3. To process (impure metal) by puddling.
To splash or dabble in or as if in a pool of liquid.
[Middle English podel, diminutive of Old English pudd, ditch.]
1. a small pool of water, esp of rain
2. a small pool of any liquid
3. (Building) a worked mixture of wet clay and sand that is impervious to water and is used to line a pond or canal
4. (Rowing) rowing the patch of eddying water left by the blade of an oar after completion of a stroke
5. (Building) (tr) to make (clay, etc) into puddle
6. (Metallurgy) (tr) to subject (iron) to puddling
7. (intr) to dabble or wade in puddles, mud, or shallow water
8. (intr) to mess about
[C14 podel, diminutive of Old English pudd ditch, of obscure origin]
n., v. -dled, -dling. n.
1. a small pool of water, as of rainwater on the ground.
2. a small pool of any liquid.
3. clay or the like mixed with water and tempered, used as a waterproof lining for the walls of canals, ditches, etc.v.t.
4. to mark or scatter with puddles.
5. to wet with dirty water, mud, etc.
6. to make (water) muddy or dirty.
7. to muddle or confuse.
8. Metall. to subject (molten iron) to the process of puddling.v.i.
9. to wade in a puddle.
10. to be or become puddled.
[1300–50; Middle English puddel, podel, pothel, appar. diminutive of Old English pudd ditch, furrow (akin to Low German pudel puddle)]
Past participle: puddled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||puddle - a mixture of wet clay and sand that can be used to line a pond and that is impervious to water when dry|
covering material - a material used by builders to cover surfaces
|2.||puddle - a small body of standing water (rainwater) or other liquid; "there were puddles of muddy water in the road after the rain"; "the body lay in a pool of blood"|
billabong - a stagnant pool of water in the bed of a stream that flows intermittently
body of water, water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean); "they invaded our territorial waters"; "they were sitting by the water's edge"
mud puddle - a puddle of mud; "the children loved a mud puddle"
|3.||puddle - something resembling a pool of liquid; "he stood in a pool of light"; "his chair sat in a puddle of books and magazines"|
|Verb||1.||puddle - wade or dabble in a puddle; "The ducks and geese puddled in the backyard"|
wade - walk (through relatively shallow water); "Can we wade across the river to the other side?"; "Wade the pond"
|2.||puddle - subject to puddling or form by puddling; "puddle iron"|
|3.||puddle - dip into mud before planting; "puddle young plants"|
|4.||puddle - work a wet mixture, such as concrete or mud|
|5.||puddle - mess around, as in a liquid or paste; "The children are having fun puddling in paint"|
|6.||puddle - make into a puddle; "puddled mire"|
|7.||puddle - make a puddle by splashing water|
|8.||puddle - mix up or confuse; "He muddled the issues"|
|9.||puddle - eliminate urine; "Again, the cat had made on the expensive rug"|
make water, micturate, pass water, pee, pee-pee, piss, relieve oneself, spend a penny, take a leak, wee, wee-wee, urinate, piddle, make
urinate - pass after the manner of urine; "The sick men urinated blood"
wet - make one's bed or clothes wet by urinating; "This eight year old boy still wets his bed"
stale - urinate, of cattle and horses
n → Pfütze f (also euph)
a small, usually dirty, pool (of water). It had been raining, and there were puddles in the road. plassie بِرْكَه صَغيرَه локва poça louže die Pfütze pyt λακκούβα με βρομόνερα charco loik چالاب lätäkkö flaque d'eauשלולית छोटा सा तालाब pocsolya kubangan (forar)pollur pozzanghera 水たまり 물웅덩이 bala peļķe lopak plassøledam, vannpyttkałuża ډڼد poça băltoacă лужа, лужица mláka, kaluž luža bara pöl, vattenpuss แอ่งน้ำขนาดเล็ก su birikintisi, gölcük 泥潭，水坑 калюжа گندے پاني کا گڑھا vũng nước 泥潭，水坑