Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Pueblo: Pueblo Indians
n. pl. Pueblo or Pueb·los
a. Any of some 25 Native American peoples, including the Hopi, Zuni, and Taos, living in established villages in northern and western New Mexico and northeast Arizona. The Pueblo are considered to be descendants of the cliff dwellers and are noted for their skilled craft in pottery, basketry, weaving, and metalworking.
b. A member of any of these peoples.
2. pueblo pl. pueb·los A village or community of any of the Pueblo peoples, traditionally consisting of multilevel adobe or stone apartment dwellings of terraced design clustered around a central plaza.
[American Spanish, from Spanish, people, pueblo, from Latin populus, people; see public.]
Word History: The word pueblo ultimately comes from the Latin word meaning "people," populus, also the source of other English words like population and even people itself, by way of Old French pueple. As the spoken Latin of Spain developed into the Spanish language, Latin populus became Spanish pueblo, meaning "town, village," as well as "nation, people." The 16th-century Spanish explorers who visited the area naturally used this word to refer to the distinctive adobe and stone villages of the Pueblo peoples, in which some buildings rose as high as five stories. Pueblo first appears in English as a word for the distinctive villages of the Pueblo peoples, and it later came to be used to refer to the peoples living in the villages.
A city of southeast-central Colorado south of Colorado Springs on the Arkansas River. It was founded in the mid-1800s and grew as a coal-mining center.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
pueblo(ˈpwɛbləʊ; Spanish ˈpweβlo)
n, pl -los (-ləʊz; Spanish -los)
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a communal village, built by certain Indians of the southwestern US and parts of Latin America, consisting of one or more flat-roofed stone or adobe houses
2. (Human Geography) a communal village, built by certain Indians of the southwestern US and parts of Latin America, consisting of one or more flat-roofed stone or adobe houses
3. (Human Geography) (in Spanish America) a village or town
4. (Human Geography) (in the Philippines) a town or township
[C19: from Spanish: people, from Latin populus]
n, pl -lo or -los
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a member of any of the North American Indian peoples who live in pueblos, including the Tanoans, Zuñi, and Hopi
2. (Peoples) a member of any of the North American Indian peoples who live in pueblos, including the Tanoans, Zuñi, and Hopi
(Placename) a city in Colorado: a centre of the steel industry. Pop: 103 648 (2003 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -los,
1. a communal dwelling of certain agricultural Indians of the southwestern U.S., consisting of a number of adjoining houses of stone or adobe, typically flat-roofed, multistoried, and terraced, with access provided by ladder.
2. (cap.) Pueblo Indian.
3. any Indian village in the southwestern U.S.
4. (in Spanish America) a town or village.
5. (in the Philippines) a town or a township.adj.
6. of or pertaining to the Pueblo Indians.
[1800–10, Amer.; < American Spanish; Sp: town, people < Latin populus people]
a city in central Colorado. 101,070.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pueblo - a member of any of about two dozen Native American peoples called `Pueblos' by the Spanish because they live in pueblos (villages built of adobe and rock)|
American Indian, Indian, Red Indian - a member of the race of people living in America when Europeans arrived
Hopi - a member of the Shoshonean people of northeastern Arizona
Taos - a member of the Pueblo people living in northern New Mexico
Zuni - a member of the Pueblo people living in western New Mexico
|2.||Pueblo - a city in Colorado to the south of Colorado Springs|
|3.||pueblo - a communal village built by Indians in the southwestern United States|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.