Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that puffs: a puffer of cigars; used a puffer to apply insecticide.
2. See pufferfish.
3. A quilted, fitted jacket filled with down or other material for warmth.
1. a person or thing that puffs
2. (Animals) Also called: globefish any marine plectognath fish of the family Tetraodontidae, having an elongated spiny body that can be inflated to form a globe
1. a person or thing that puffs.
2. Also called blowfish, globefish. any of various spiny fishes of the family Tetraodontidae, capable of inflating the body: several species contain the potent nerve poison tetrodotoxin.
An alchemist who concentrated solely on turning base metals into gold. The term later came to be used to describe any kind of alchemist.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||puffer - delicacy that is highly dangerous because of a potent nerve poison in ovaries and liver|
globefish, puffer, pufferfish, blowfish - any of numerous marine fishes whose elongated spiny body can inflate itself with water or air to form a globe; several species contain a potent nerve poison; closely related to spiny puffers
saltwater fish - flesh of fish from the sea used as food
fugu - a blowfish highly prized as a delicacy in Japan but highly dangerous because the skin and organs are poisonous
tetrodotoxin - a powerful neurotoxin found in the ovaries of pufferfish
|2.||puffer - any of numerous marine fishes whose elongated spiny body can inflate itself with water or air to form a globe; several species contain a potent nerve poison; closely related to spiny puffers|
plectognath, plectognath fish - tropical marine fishes having the teeth fused into a beak and thick skin covered with bony plates or spines
puffer[ˈpʌfəʳ] N → locomotora f
n (baby-talk: = train) → Puffpuff f (baby-talk)