Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pulley: Simple Machines
n. pl. pul·leys
1. A simple machine consisting essentially of a wheel with a grooved rim in which a pulled rope or chain can run to change the direction of the pull and thereby lift a load.
2. A wheel turned by or driving a belt.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a wheel with a grooved rim in which a rope, chain, or belt can run in order to change the direction or point of application of a force applied to the rope, etc
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a number of such wheels pivoted in parallel in a block, used to raise heavy loads
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a wheel with a flat, convex, or grooved rim mounted on a shaft and driven by or driving a belt passing around it
[C14 poley, from Old French polie, from Vulgar Latin polidium (unattested), apparently from Late Greek polidion (unattested) a little pole, from Greek polos axis]
n., pl. -leys.
1. a wheel for supporting, guiding, or transmitting force to or from a moving rope or cable that rides in a groove in its edge.
2. a combination of such wheels in a block, or of such wheels or blocks in a tackle, to increase the force applied.
[1275–1325; Middle English poley, puly < Middle French polie « Medieval Greek *polídion little pivot]
A simple machine consisting of a wheel over which a pulled rope or chain runs to change the direction of the pull used for lifting a load. Combinations of two or more pulleys working together reduce the force needed to lift a load. See also block and tackle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pulley - a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove in which a rope can run to change the direction or point of application of a force applied to the rope|
block and tackle - pulley blocks with associated rope or cable
bullock block - a pulley-block at the head of a topmast
fairlead - a pulley-block used to guide a rope forming part of a ship's rigging to avoid chafing
idle pulley, idle wheel, idler pulley - a pulley on a shaft that presses against a guide belt to guide or tighten it
talía, blökk; trissa
pulley[ˈpʊlɪ] N → polea f
a wheel over which a rope etc can pass in order to lift heavy objects. katrol بَكَرَه скрипец roldana kladka die Rolle trisse τροχαλίαpolea (tali)plokk قرقره väkipyörä poulieגלגלת चरखी csiga kerekan talía, blökk; trissa puleggia, carrucola 滑車 도르래 skridinys trīsis kapi katroltrinse, reimskiveblok غرغره roldana scripete шкив; блок kladka škripec kotur block, talja รอก makara, palanga 滑輪 шків, блок چرخي cái ròng rọc 滑轮