Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. pur·fled, pur·fling, pur·fles
To finish or decorate the border or edge of.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a ruffled or curved ornamental band, as on clothing, furniture, etc
2. (Art Terms) a ruffled or curved ornamental band, as on clothing, furniture, etc
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (tr) to decorate with such a band or bands
4. (Art Terms) (tr) to decorate with such a band or bands
[C14: from Old French purfiler to decorate with a border, from filer to spin, from fil thread, from Latin fīlum]
v. -fled, -fling,
1. to finish with an ornamental border.n.
2. Also called pur′fling. an ornamental border, as an inlaid border on a stringed instrument.
[1275–1325; Middle English purfilen < Middle French porfiler to make or adorn a border =por- pro-1 + filer to spin, derivative of fil thread < Latin fīlum. compare profile]
Past participle: purfled