grenadier(redirected from purple grenadiers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A member of the British Grenadier Guards, the first regiment of the royal household infantry.
b. A soldier who is a member of a special corps or regiment.
c. A soldier equipped with grenades.
2. Any of various deep-sea fishes of the family Macrouridae, having a long tapering tail and lacking a tail fin. Also called rat-tail.
[French, from grenade, grenade; see grenade.]
1. (Military) military
a. (in the British Army) a member of the senior regiment of infantry in the Household Brigade
b. (formerly) a member of a special formation, usually selected for strength and height
c. (formerly) a soldier trained to throw grenades
2. (Animals) Also called: rat-tail any deep-sea gadoid fish of the family Macrouridae, typically having a large head and trunk and a long tapering tail
3. (Animals) any of various African weaverbirds of the genus Estrilda. See waxbill
[C17: from French]
1. a member of the first regiment of royal household infantry (Gren′adier Guards′) in the British Army.
2. a foot soldier in certain former elite units, specially selected for strength and courage.
3. (formerly) a soldier who threw grenades.
4. any deep-sea fish of the family Macrouridae, having an elongated, tapering tail.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grenadier - an infantryman equipped with grenades|
|2.||grenadier - deep-sea fish with a large head and body and long tapering tail|