Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
the scope or range of something; responsibility, compass, extent: The job is within his purview.
Not to be confused with:
preview – the showing of a movie, play, etc. prior to its public opening; to see or show in advance: They always show previews before the movie.
1. The extent or range of activity, function, power, or competence; scope. See Synonyms at range.
a. Range of vision: "Craning her neck, [she] extends her purview to the faculty lounge" (Rachel Kadish).
b. Range of understanding or experience.
a. The body or main part of a statute, as distinguished from its preamble.
b. The general scope and coverage of a statute.
[Alteration (influenced by view) of Middle English purveu, proviso, from Anglo-Norman purveu est, it is provided (from the use of this word to introduce a proviso), past participle of purveier, to provide; see purvey.]
1. the scope of operation or concern of something
2. the breadth or range of outlook or understanding
3. (Law) law the body of a statute, containing the enacting clauses
[C15: from Anglo-Norman purveu, from porveeir to furnish; see purvey]
1. the range of operation, authority, concern, etc.
2. the range of vision, insight, or understanding.
a. the body, as distinguished from the preamble, of a statute.
b. the purpose or scope of a statute.
4. the full scope or compass of any document, statement, subject, etc.
[1225–75; Middle English purveu < Anglo-French: past participle of purveier to purvey]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||purview - the range of interest or activity that can be anticipated; "It is beyond the horizon of present knowledge"|
ambit, range, scope, reach, compass, orbit - an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"