Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A short golf club used for putting.
2. A golfer who is putting.
v. put·tered, put·ter·ing, put·ters
1. To occupy oneself with minor or unimportant tasks.
2. To walk or move in an unhurried or casual manner.
To spend (time) doing minor or unimportant activities: puttered away the hours in the garden.
[Probably alteration of potter, probably frequentative of Middle English poten, to poke, push, from Old English potian.]
v.intr. put·tered, put·ter·ing, put·ters
1. To make a repeated or intermittent sound like that of a small gasoline engine.
2. To move while making such a sound.