pyramidal(redirected from pyramidal disease)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to pyramidal disease: extrapyramidal disease
a. A solid figure with a polygonal base and triangular faces that meet at a common point.
b. Something shaped like this polyhedron.
a. A massive monument of ancient Egypt having a rectangular base and four triangular faces culminating in a single apex, built over or around a crypt or tomb.
b. Any of various similar constructions, especially a four-sided Mesoamerican temple having stepped sides and a flat top surmounted by chambers.
3. The transactions involved in pyramiding stock.
4. Anatomy A structure or part suggestive of a pyramid in shape.
v. pyr·a·mid·ed, pyr·a·mid·ing, pyr·a·mids
1. To place or build in the shape of a pyramid.
2. To build (an argument or thesis, for example) progressively from a basic general premise.
3. To speculate in (stock) by making a series of buying and selling transactions in which paper profits are used as margin for buying more stock.
1. To assume the shape of a pyramid.
2. To increase rapidly and on a widening base.
3. To pyramid stocks.
[Latin pȳramis, pȳramid-, from Greek pūramis, of unknown origin.]
py·ram′i·dal (pĭ-răm′ĭ-dl), pyr′a·mid′ic (-mĭd′ĭk), pyr′a·mid′i·cal (-ĭ-kəl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
pyramidal[pɪˈræmɪdl] ADJ → piramidal
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
pyramidal[pɪˈræmɪdl] adj → piramidale
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995