pyrexia(redirected from pyrexia-pruritus-hemorrhage syndrome)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
[New Latin, from Greek purexis, from puressein, to have a fever, from puretos, fever; see pyretic.]
py·rex′i·al, py·rex′ic adj.
(Pathology) a technical name for fever
[C18: from New Latin, from Greek purexis, from puressein to be feverish, from pur fire]
pyˈrexial, pyˈrexic adj
1. an abnormally high body temperature.
2. any of various diseases in which high temperature is a prominent symptom, as scarlet fever or rheumatic fever.
3. intense nervous excitement: in a fever of anticipation.v.t.
4. to affect with or as if with fever.v.i.
5. to become feverish; have or get a fever.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English fefer < Latin febris fever]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pyrexia - a rise in the temperature of the body; frequently a symptom of infection|
symptom - (medicine) any sensation or change in bodily function that is experienced by a patient and is associated with a particular disease
hyperpyrexia - extremely high fever (especially in children)
n. pirexia, condición febril.