Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. quarter (of a year)
2. Games queen
q 1or Q (kyo͞o)
n. pl. q's or Q's also qs or Qs
1. The 17th letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter q.
3. The 17th in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter Q.
5. Q A hypothetical lost manuscript, consisting largely of sayings of Jesus, that is believed to have been the source of those passages in Matthew and Luke that bear close similarity to each other but not to parallel passages in Mark.
[Sense 5, probably from German Q(uelle), source.]
The symbol for charge.
n, pl q's, Q's or Qs
1. (Linguistics) the 17th letter and 13th consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound represented by this letter, in English usually a voiceless velar stop, as in unique and quick
1. (Chess & Draughts) chess queen
2. (Law) question
3. (General Physics) physics heat
(Telecommunications) text messaging queue
n., pl. Qs Q's, qs q's.
1. the 17th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something shaped like a Q.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter Q or q.
1. the 17th in order or in a series.
2. Biochem. glutamine.
3. Physics. heat.
[< Latin quadrāns]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||q - the 17th letter of the Roman alphabet|
Latin alphabet, Roman alphabet - the alphabet evolved by the ancient Romans which serves for writing most of the languages of western Europe
Q1 q [kjuː] N (= letter) → Q, q f
Q for Queen → Q de Quebec
2. =question → P
Qq [ˈkjuː] n (= letter) → Q, q m
Q for Queen → Q comme Quintal
n → Q nt, → q nt ? P
Qq [kjuː] n (letter) → Q, q f or m inv
Q for Queen → Q come Quarto