Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
q 1or Q (kyo͞o)
n. pl. q's or Q's also qs or Qs
1. The 17th letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter q.
3. The 17th in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter Q.
5. Q A hypothetical lost manuscript, consisting largely of sayings of Jesus, that is believed to have been the source of those passages in Matthew and Luke that bear close similarity to each other but not to parallel passages in Mark.
[Sense 5, probably from German Q(uelle), source.]
The symbol for charge.
a. quarter (of a year)
2. Games queen
1. (Pharmacology) (in prescriptions) quantum sufficit
2. quarter section (of land)
[(sense 1) Latin: as much as will suffice]
(Law) quarter sessions