Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
q 1or Q (kyo͞o)
n. pl. q's or Q's also qs or Qs
1. The 17th letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter q.
3. The 17th in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter Q.
5. Q A hypothetical lost manuscript, consisting largely of sayings of Jesus, that is believed to have been the source of those passages in Matthew and Luke that bear close similarity to each other but not to parallel passages in Mark.
[Sense 5, probably from German Q(uelle), source.]
The symbol for charge.
a. quarter (of a year)
2. Games queen
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pharmacology) (in prescriptions) quantum sufficit
2. quarter section (of land)
[(sense 1) Latin: as much as will suffice]
(Law) quarter sessions
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.