Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to quadrat: quadrat sampling
1. Printing A piece of type metal lower than the raised typeface, used for filling spaces and blank lines. Also called quad2.
2. Any of a group of small, usually rectangular plots of land used for sampling the occurrence of species or of archaeological artifacts.
[Middle English, a square geometric instrument, rectangular area; see quadrate.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) ecology an area of vegetation, often one square metre, marked out for study of the plants in the surrounding area
2. (Environmental Science) the frame used to mark out such an area
[C14 (meaning "a square"): variant of quadrate]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
2. a square or rectangular plot of land marked off for the study of plants and animals.
[1675–85; variant of quadrate]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a plot of land, square or rectangular, marked off or set out for the study of plant or animal life.See also: Animals
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.