Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to quadrat: quadrat sampling
1. Printing A piece of type metal lower than the raised typeface, used for filling spaces and blank lines. Also called quad2.
2. Any of a group of small, usually rectangular plots of land used for sampling the occurrence of species or of archaeological artifacts.
[Middle English, a square geometric instrument, rectangular area; see quadrate.]
1. (Botany) ecology an area of vegetation, often one square metre, marked out for study of the plants in the surrounding area
2. (Environmental Science) the frame used to mark out such an area
[C14 (meaning "a square"): variant of quadrate]
2. a square or rectangular plot of land marked off for the study of plants and animals.
[1675–85; variant of quadrate]
a plot of land, square or rectangular, marked off or set out for the study of plant or animal life.See also: Animals