quadrate(redirected from quadrating)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A square or cube.
b. An approximately square or cubic area, space, or object.
2. Zoology A bone or cartilaginous structure of the skull, joining the upper and lower jaws in birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians.
1. Having four sides and four angles; square or rectangular.
2. Zoology Of or being the quadrate bone or cartilage.
[Middle English quadrat, something square, from Latin quadrātum, from neuter past participle of quadrāre, to make square, from quadrum, square; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a cube, square, or a square or cubelike object
2. (Zoology) one of a pair of bones of the upper jaw of fishes, amphibians, reptiles, and birds that articulates with the lower jaw. In mammals it forms the incus
3. (Zoology) of or relating to this bone
4. square or rectangular
5. (tr) to make square or rectangular
6. (often foll by with) to conform or cause to conform
[C14: from Latin quadrāre to make square]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
quad•rate(adj., n. ˈkwɒd rɪt, -reɪt; v. -reɪt)
adj., n., v. -rat•ed, -rat•ing. adj.
1. square or rectangular.
2. (of a heraldic cross) having a square at the juncture of the limbs.n.
3. a square.
4. something square or rectangular.
5. a bony or cartilaginous structure on each side of the skull in fish, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, to which the lower jaw is attached.v.t.
6. to cause to conform or harmonize; adapt.v.i.
7. to agree; conform.
[1350–1400; < Latin quadrātus, past participle of quadrāre to make square, derivative of quadrum square; compare quadri-]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: quadrated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quadrate - a cubelike object|
|2.||quadrate - a square-shaped object|
|Adj.||1.||quadrate - having four sides and four angles|
square - having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle; "a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Having four equal sides and four right angles:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. cuadrado, que tiene cuatro lados iguales;
___ lobe → lóbulo cuadrado;
___ lobule → lobulillo cuadrado.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012