Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The process of making something square.
2. Mathematics The process of constructing a square equal in area to a given surface.
3. Astronomy A configuration in which the position of one celestial body is 90° from another celestial body as measured from a third body, typically Earth.
1. (Mathematics) maths the process of determining a square having an area equal to that of a given figure or surface
2. the process of making square or dividing into squares
3. (Astronomy) astronomy a configuration in which two celestial bodies, usually the sun and the moon or a planet, form an angle of 90° with a third body, usually the earth
4. (Electronics) electronics the relationship between two waves that are 90° out of phase
quad•ra•ture(ˈkwɒd rə tʃər, -ˌtʃʊər)
1. the act of squaring.
a. the act or process of finding a square equal in area to a given surface, esp. a surface bounded by a curve.
b. a definite integral.
a. the situation of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.
b. either of the two points in the orbit of a body, as the moon, midway between the syzygies.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quadrature - the construction of a square having the same area as some other figure|
construction - drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"