Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that qualifies, especially one that has or fulfills all appropriate qualifications, as for a position, office, or task.
2. Grammar A word or phrase that qualifies, limits, or modifies the meaning of another word or phrase.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that qualifies, esp a contestant in a competition who wins a preliminary heat or contest and so earns the right to take part in the next round
2. (General Sporting Terms) a preliminary heat or contest
3. (Grammar) grammar another word for modifier1
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
qual•i•fi•er(ˈkwɒl əˌfaɪ ər)
1. a person or thing that qualifies.
2. a word, as an adverb or adjective, that qualifies or limits the meaning of another; modifier.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See also related terms for limits.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||qualifier - a contestant who meets certain requirements and so qualifies to take part in the next stage of competition; "the tournament was won by a late qualifier"|
contestant - a person who participates in competitions
|2.||qualifier - a content word that qualifies the meaning of a noun or verb|
phrase - an expression consisting of one or more words forming a grammatical constituent of a sentence
intensifier, intensive - a modifier that has little meaning except to intensify the meaning it modifies; "`up' in `finished up' is an intensifier"; "`honestly' in `I honestly don't know' is an intensifier"
adjective - a word that expresses an attribute of something
adverb - a word that modifies something other than a noun
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (Sport) (= person) → clasificado/a m/f; (= match, heat, round) → eliminatoria f
2. (Gram) → calificador m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(GRAMMAR) → qualificatif m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995