quarto(redirected from quartos)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. quar·tos
1. The page size obtained by folding a whole sheet into four leaves.
2. A book composed of pages of this size.
[Short for Middle English (in) quarto, (in) the fourth part (of a sheet), from Medieval Latin (in) quārtō, from Latin, ablative of quārtus, fourth; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -tos
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a book size resulting from folding a sheet of paper, usually crown or demy, into four leaves or eight pages, each one quarter the size of the sheet. Often written: 4to or 4°
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (formerly) a size of cut paper 10 in. by 8 in. (25.4 cm by 20.3 cm)
[C16: from New Latin phrase in quartō in quarter]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tos,
1. a book size of about 9½x 12 in. (24 x 30 cm), determined by folding printed sheets twice to form four leaves or eight pages. Symbol: 4to, 4°
2. a book of this size.adj.
3. bound in quarto.
[1580–90; short for New Latin in quārtō in fourth (Latin quārtō, abl. singular of quartus fourth)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quarto - the size of a book whose pages are made by folding a sheet of paper twice to form four leaves|
size - the property resulting from being one of a series of graduated measurements (as of clothing); "he wears a size 13 shoe"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
quarto[ˈkwɔːtəʊ] adj → in quarto
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995