Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. quet·zals or quet·za·les (-sä′lās)
1. Any of several tropical American birds of the genera Pharomachrus and Euptilotis having brilliant bronze-green and red plumage and, in the male, long flowing tail feathers, especially P. mocinno of Central America.
2. See Table at currency.
[American Spanish, from Nahuatl quetzalli, large brilliant tail feather.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -zals or -zales (-ˈsɑːlɛs)
1. (Animals) Also called: resplendent trogon a crested bird, Pharomachrus mocinno, of Central and N South America, which has a brilliant green, red, and white plumage and, in the male, long tail feathers: family Trogonidae, order Trogoniformes (trogons)
2. (Currencies) the standard monetary unit of Guatemala, divided into 100 centavos
[via American Spanish from Nahuatl quetzalli brightly coloured tail feather]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -zals, -za•les (-ˈsɑ leɪs)
1. any of several large New World trogons of the genus Pharomachrus, esp. P. mocinno, of S Mexico and Central America, with golden-green and scarlet plumage and, in the male, greatly elongated tail coverts.
2. the basic monetary unit of Guatemala.
[1820–30; < American Spanish < Nahuatl quetzalli plumage of the quetzal]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quetzal - the basic unit of money in Guatemala; equal to 100 centavos|
centavo - a fractional monetary unit of several countries: El Salvador and Sao Tome and Principe and Brazil and Argentina and Bolivia and Colombia and Cuba and the Dominican Republic and Ecuador and El Salvador and Guatemala and Honduras and Mexico and Nicaragua and Peru and the Philippines and Portugal
Guatemalan monetary unit - monetary unit in Guatemala
|2.||quetzal - large trogon of Central America and South America having golden-green and scarlet plumage|
trogon - forest bird of warm regions of the New World having brilliant lustrous plumage and long tails
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.