quittance(redirected from quittances)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a. Release or discharge from debt or obligation.
b. A document or receipt certifying such release.
2. Payment of a debt or obligation.
[Middle English quitance, from Old French, from quiter, to free; see quit.]
1. (Law) release from debt or other obligation
2. (Law) a receipt or other document certifying this
[C13: from Old French, from quitter to release from obligation; see quit]
1. recompense or requital.
2. discharge from a debt or obligation.
3. a document certifying discharge from debt or obligation, as a receipt.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quittance - a document or receipt certifying release from an obligation or debt|
document - a written account of ownership or obligation
|2.||quittance - payment of a debt or obligation|
payment - a sum of money paid or a claim discharged
redemption - repayment of the principal amount of a debt or security at or before maturity (as when a corporation repurchases its own stock)