radial(redirected from radial hemimelia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Of, relating to, or arranged like rays or radii.
b. Radiating from or converging to a common center.
c. Having or characterized by parts so arranged or so radiating.
2. Moving or directed along a radius.
3. Anatomy Of, relating to, or near the radius or forearm.
4. Developing symmetrically about a central point.
1. A radial part, such as a ray, spoke, or radius.
2. A radial tire.
[Middle English, from Medieval Latin radiālis, from Latin radius, ray, spoke, radius of a circle; see ray1.]
1. (of lines, bars, beams of light, etc) emanating from a common central point; arranged like the radii of a circle
2. of, like, or relating to a radius or ray
3. spreading out or developing uniformly on all sides
4. (Zoology) of or relating to the arms of a starfish or similar radiating structures
5. (Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to the radius or forearm
6. (Astronomy) astronomy (of velocity) in a direction along the line of sight of a celestial object and measured by means of the red shift (or blue shift) of the spectral lines of the object. Compare tangential2
7. a radial part or section
8. (Zoology) zoology
a. any of the basal fin rays of most bony fishes
b. a radial or radiating structure, such as any of the ossicles supporting the oral disc of a sea star
[C16: from Medieval Latin radiālis from radius]
ra•di•al(ˈreɪ di əl)
1. arranged or having parts arranged like radii or rays.
2. made in the direction of a radius; going from the center outward or from the circumference inward along a radius: a radial cut.
3. of, like, or pertaining to a radius or a ray.
4. of, pertaining to, or situated near the radius of the forearm.
5. acting along or in the direction of the radius of a circle: radial motion.n.
6. a radial section, part, or structure.
7. radial tire.
A magnetic bearing extending from a very high frequency omni-range and/or tactical air navigation station.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||radial - pneumatic tire that has radial-ply casing|
|Adj.||1.||radial - relating to or near the radius; "the radial aspect of the forearm"|
|2.||radial - relating to or moving along or having the direction of a radius; "radial velocity"|
|3.||radial - issuing in rays from a common center; relating to rays of light; "radial heat"|
|4.||radial - arranged like rays or radii; radiating from a common center; "radial symmetry"; "a starlike or stellate arrangement of petals"; "many cities show a radial pattern of main highways"|