Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The farthest point on a railroad to which rails have been laid.
2. A place on a railroad where military supplies are unloaded.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Railways) a terminal of a railway
2. (Railways) the farthest point reached by completed track on an unfinished railway
3. (Military) military the point at which material and personnel are transferred from rail to another conveyance
4. (Railways) the upper part of a railway rail, on which the traffic wheels run
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a railroad depot at which supplies are unloaded to be distributed or forwarded by truck or other means.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A point on a railway where loads are transferred between trains and other means of transport. See also navigation head.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||railhead - a railroad depot in a theater of operations where military supplies are unloaded for distribution|
|2.||railhead - the end of the completed track on an unfinished railway|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.