Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Informal One who is known for achieving excellent results in a profession or field, such as business or politics.
2. One who is believed to be capable of producing rain, as through magical or ritual actions.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Other Non-Christian Religions) (among Native Americans) a professional practitioner of ritual incantations or other actions intended to cause rain to fall
2. (Commerce) informal chiefly US an influential employee who creates a great deal of business or revenue for his or her firm
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (among American Indians) a medicine man who by various rituals and incantations seeks to cause rain.
2. a person who tries to induce rainfall by artificial techniques, as by seeding clouds with silver iodide crystals.
3. Informal. an executive or lawyer able to secure clients, generate income, etc., as by using political connections.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rainmaker - executive who is very successful in bringing in business to his company or firm|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||rainmaker - American Indian medicine man who attempt to make it rain|
medicine man - a Native American shaman
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.