Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Informal One who is known for achieving excellent results in a profession or field, such as business or politics.
2. One who is believed to be capable of producing rain, as through magical or ritual actions.
1. (Other Non-Christian Religions) (among Native Americans) a professional practitioner of ritual incantations or other actions intended to cause rain to fall
2. (Commerce) informal chiefly US an influential employee who creates a great deal of business or revenue for his or her firm
1. (among American Indians) a medicine man who by various rituals and incantations seeks to cause rain.
2. a person who tries to induce rainfall by artificial techniques, as by seeding clouds with silver iodide crystals.
3. Informal. an executive or lawyer able to secure clients, generate income, etc., as by using political connections.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rainmaker - executive who is very successful in bringing in business to his company or firm|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||rainmaker - American Indian medicine man who attempt to make it rain|
medicine man - a Native American shaman