ante(redirected from raised the ante)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Games The stake that each poker player must put into the pool before receiving a hand or before receiving new cards.
2. A price to be paid, especially as one's share; cost: "Whether they could actually turn back Soviet policy depended on many factors that Moscow might yet choose to test by upping the ante" (Foreign Affairs)."Citizen Kane was the movie that raised the artistic ante among American filmmakers" (J. Hoberman).
v. an·ted or an·teed, an·te·ing, an·tes
1. Games To put (one's stake) into the pool in poker.
2. To pay (money or a fee): Let's ante the entry fee.
1. Games To put one's stake into the pool in poker: Don't look at your cards until everyone has anted.
2. To pay for something: anted for the tickets.
1. (Card Games) the gaming stake put up before the deal in poker by the players
2. informal a sum of money representing a person's share, as in a syndicate
3. up the ante informal to increase the costs, risks, or considerations involved in taking an action or reaching a conclusion: whenever they reached their goal, they upped the ante by setting more complex challenges for themselves.
vb, -tes, -teing, -ted or -teed
4. (Card Games) to place (one's stake) in poker
5. (usually foll by up) informal chiefly US to pay
n., v. -ted -teed, -te•ing. n.
1. a fixed but arbitrary stake in poker put into the pot by each player before the deal.
2. an individual's share of the total expenses incurred by a group.
3. the price or cost of something.v.t.
4. (in poker) to put (one's initial stake) into the pot.
5. to produce or pay (one's share) (usu. fol. by up).v.i.
6. (in poker) to put one's initial stake into the pot.
7. to pay (usu. fol. by up).
[1830–40, Amer.; independent use of ante-]
a prefix meaning “happening before” (antediluvian), “located in front of” (anteroom).
Past participle: anted/anteed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ante - (poker) the initial contribution that each player makes to the pot|
poker game, poker - any of various card games in which players bet that they hold the highest-ranking hand
|Verb||1.||ante - place one's stake|
up the ante raise the stakes He knew he had to up the ante again in this poker game.
vt (also ante up) → einsetzen
vi → setzen, seinen Einsatz machen; his father anted up as usual (fig inf) → sein Vater blechte wie gewöhnlich (inf)
n → Vorzimmer nt
adj (lit, fig inf) → vorsintflutlich