Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to ramus: Ramus of mandible
n. pl. ra·mi (-mī′)
1. A branch, as of a nerve or blood vessel, or a projecting part, as of a rotifer or crustacean.
2. A bony process extending like a branch from a larger bone, especially the ascending part of the lower jaw that makes a joint at the temple.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -mi (-maɪ)
1. (Zoology) the barb of a bird's feather
2. (Zoology) either of the two parts of the lower jaw of a vertebrate
3. (Biology) any part or organ that branches from another part
[C19: from Latin: branch]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -mi (-mī).
a small branch, as of a stem, vein, or bone.
[1795–1805; < Latin rāmus branch, twig, bough]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ramus - the posterior part of the mandible that is more or less vertical|
condylion - the craniometric point at the tip of the mandibular condyle
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. L. rama, bifurcación, división.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012