raphe(redirected from raphe of penis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
ra·phealso rha·phe (rā′fē′)
n. pl. ra·phae (-fē′) also rha·phae
1. Anatomy A seamlike line or ridge between two similar parts of a body organ, as in the scrotum.
2. Botany The portion of the funiculus that is united to the ovule wall, commonly visible as a line or ridge on the seed coat.
3. The median groove of a diatom valve.
[New Latin, from Greek rhaphē, seam, suture, from rhaptein, to sew; see wer- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -phae (-fiː)
1. (Botany) an elongated ridge of conducting tissue along the side of certain seeds
2. (Microbiology) a longitudinal groove on the valve of a diatom
3. (Anatomy) anatomy a connecting ridge, such as that between the two halves of the medulla oblongata
[C18: via New Latin from Greek rhaphē a seam, from rhaptein to sew together]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -phae (-fē).
1. a seam along the middle of an anatomical structure, as the underside of the tongue.
2. Bot. (in certain ovules) a ridge connecting the hilum with the chalaza.
[1745–55; < New Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||raphe - a ridge that forms a seam between two parts|
palatine raphe - the seam at the middle of the hard palate
scrotum - the external pouch that contains the testes
ridge - any long raised strip
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. rafe, línea de unión de dos mitades simétricas de una estructura tal como la lengua.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012