Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
rar·e·fiedalso rar·i·fied (râr′ə-fīd′)
1. Not dense; thin: the rarefied air of the high peaks.
2. Belonging to or reserved for a small select group; exclusive: accepted in the most rarefied social circles.
3. Refined or esoteric: rarefied academic theorizing; a man of rarefied appetites.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. exalted in nature or character; lofty: a rarefied spiritual existence.
2. current within only a small group; esoteric or exclusive
3. (General Physics) (of a gas, esp the atmosphere at high altitudes) having a low density; thin
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. lofty or elevated; exalted: the rarefied atmosphere of a scholarly symposium.
2. appealing to or exemplifying an exclusive group; select; esoteric: rarefied tastes.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||rarefied - having low density; "rare gasses"; "lightheaded from the rarefied mountain air"|
thin - relatively thin in consistency or low in density; not viscous; "air is thin at high altitudes"; "a thin soup"; "skimmed milk is much thinner than whole milk"; "thin oil"
|2.||rarefied - of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept"; "a grand purpose"|
exalted, lofty, noble-minded, high-minded, idealistic, rarified, elevated, high-flown, sublime, grand
noble - having or showing or indicative of high or elevated character; "a noble spirit"; "noble deeds"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective exclusive, select, esoteric, cliquish, private, occult, clannish the rarefied atmosphere of university
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
rarefied[ˈrɛərɪfaɪd] ADJ → enrarecido
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
rarefied[ˈrɛərɪˌfaɪd] adj (atmosphere, air) → rarefatto/a (fig) → raffinato/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995