Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A coarse file with sharp, pointed projections.
2. The act of filing with a rasp.
3. A harsh grating sound.
v. rasped, rasp·ing, rasps
1. To file or scrape with a rasp.
2. To utter in a grating voice.
3. To grate on (nerves or feelings).
1. To scrape harshly; grate.
2. To make a harsh, grating sound.
[Old French raspe, from rasper, to rasp, of Germanic origin. V., Middle English raspen, from Middle Dutch raspen, from Old French rasper.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a harsh grating noise
2. (Tools) a coarse file with rows of raised teeth
3. (tr) to scrape or rub (something) roughly, esp with a rasp; abrade
4. to utter with or make a harsh grating noise
5. to irritate (one's nerves or senses); grate (upon)
[C16: from Old French raspe, of Germanic origin; compare Old High German raspōn to scrape]
(Plants) an informal or Scot word for raspberry
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to scrape or abrade with or as if with a rough instrument.
2. to grate upon or irritate: The sound rasped his nerves.
3. to utter with a grating sound: to rasp out an order.v.i.
4. to scrape or grate.
5. to make a grating sound.n.
6. an act of rasping.
7. a rasping sound.
8. a coarse file, used mainly on wood, having separate conical teeth.
9. (in an insect) a roughened surface used in stridulation.
[1200–50; < Old French rasper to scrape, grate]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: rasped
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rasp - uttering in an irritated tone|
|2.||rasp - a coarse file with sharp pointed projections|
file - a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces; used for smoothing wood or metal
|Verb||1.||rasp - scrape with a rasp|
|2.||rasp - utter in a grating voice|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (= tool) → râpe f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995