Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A coarse file with sharp, pointed projections.
2. The act of filing with a rasp.
3. A harsh grating sound.
v. rasped, rasp·ing, rasps
1. To file or scrape with a rasp.
2. To utter in a grating voice.
3. To grate on (nerves or feelings).
1. To scrape harshly; grate.
2. To make a harsh, grating sound.
[Old French raspe, from rasper, to rasp, of Germanic origin. V., Middle English raspen, from Middle Dutch raspen, from Old French rasper.]
in a rasping manner