Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
rat·a·fi·a(răt′ə-fē′ə) also rat·a·fee (-ə-fē′)
1. A sweet cordial flavored with fruit kernels or almonds.
2. A biscuit flavored with ratafia.
[French, perhaps (via West Indian Creole tafiat, formula used to toast a person's health) from New Latin *rata fiat (rēs or conventiō), let (the thing or the agreement) be confirmed (from the practice of concluding a contract with a drink ) : Latin rata, feminine of ratus, past participle of rērī, to reckon, settle; see rate1 + Latin fiat, let it be done, third person singular present subjunctive of fierī, to become, be done; see fiat.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Brewing) any liqueur made from fruit or from brandy with added fruit
2. (Cookery) a flavouring essence made from almonds
3. (Cookery) chiefly Also called: ratafia biscuit Brit a small macaroon flavoured with almonds
[C17: from West Indian Creole French]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
rat•a•fi•a(ˌræt əˈfi ə)
n., pl. -fi•as.
1. a liqueur of wine and brandy; often flavored with almonds, fruit, etc.
2. Also called ratafi′a bis`cuit. a small, almond-flavored macaroon.
[1690–1700; < French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A flavoring made from bitter almonds.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ratafia - sweet liqueur made from wine and brandy flavored with plum or peach or apricot kernels and bitter almonds|
brandy - distilled from wine or fermented fruit juice
|2.||ratafia - macaroon flavored with ratafia liqueur|
macaroon - chewy cookie usually containing almond paste
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.