Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various spiny climbing palms of the subfamily Calamoideae and especially the genus Calamus of tropical Africa and Asia, having long, tough, flexible stems.
a. The stems of any of these palms, used to make furniture and other wickerwork.
b. Wickerwork made of the stems of these palms.
3. A switch or cane made from these palms.
[Malay rōtan (perhaps from raut, to pare or trim for use).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of the climbing palms of the genus Calamus and related genera, having tough stems used for wickerwork and canes
2. (Plants) the stems of such plants collectively
3. (Plants) a stick made from one of these stems
[C17: from Malay rōtan]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called rattan′ palm`. any of various climbing palms of the genus Calamus or allied genera.
2. the tough stems of such palms, used for wickerwork, canes, etc.
3. a stick or switch of rattan.
[1650–60; by uncertain mediation < Malay rotan, alleged to be a derivative of rout scrape off, with -an nominalizing suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rattan - climbing palm of Sri Lanka and southern India remarkable for the great length of the stems which are used for malacca canes|
malacca - stem of the rattan palm used for making canes and umbrella handles
calamus - any tropical Asian palm of the genus Calamus; light tough stems are a source of rattan canes
|2.||rattan - the stem of various climbing palms of the genus Calamus and related genera used to make wickerwork and furniture and canes|
cane - a strong slender often flexible stem as of bamboos, reeds, rattans, or sugar cane
|3.||rattan - a switch made from the stems of the rattan palms|
switch - a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
rattan[ræˈtæn] n → malacca
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995