Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. Lewdness; vulgarity; obscenity.
2. Material or a performance that is sexually explicit or evocative: "Audiences are still astonished when she goes for the raunch" (Katrine Ames).
[Back-formation from raunchy.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. lack of polish or refinement; crudeness
2. chiefly US slovenliness or untidiness
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. smuttiness; vulgarity.adj.
2. using or characterized by raunch; vulgar: raunch radio.
[1955–60, Amer.; back formation from raunchy]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||raunch - the quality of lacking taste and refinement|
inelegance - the quality of lacking refinement and good taste
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. Slang. The quality or state of being obscene:
bawdiness, coarseness, dirtiness, filthiness, foulness, grossness, lewdness, obscenity, profaneness, profanity, scurrility, scurrilousness, smuttiness, vulgarity, vulgarness.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.