Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to re-lay: relay race
tr.v. re-laid (-lād′), re-lay·ing, re-lays
To lay again: re-laid the carpet.
v.t. -laid, -lay•ing.
to lay again.
re•lay(ˈri leɪ; v. also rɪˈleɪ)
1. a series of persons relieving one another or taking turns; shift.
2. a fresh set of dogs or horses posted in readiness for use in a hunt, on a journey, etc.
a. relay race.
b. a length or leg in a relay race.
a. an electrical device that responds to a change of current or voltage in one circuit by making or breaking a connection in another.
5. an act or instance of conveying or transmitting by relay.v.t.
6. to carry or convey by or as if by relays: to relay a message.
7. to provide with or replace by fresh relays.
8. to retransmit (a signal, message, etc.) by or as if by means of an electrical relay.
Past participle: re-laid