Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. re·al·ized, re·al·iz·ing, re·al·iz·es
1. To comprehend completely or correctly.
2. To bring into reality; make real: He finally realized his lifelong ambition to learn how to play the violin.
3. To make realistic: a film that realizes court life of the 1600s.
4. To obtain or achieve, as gain or profit: She realized a substantial return on the investment.
5. To bring in (a sum) as profit by sale.
To exchange holdings or goods for money.
[French réaliser, from Old French, from real, real; see real1.]