Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A small, evergreen, eastern North American tree (Juniperus virginiana) having scalelike or awl-shaped leaves and fleshy, purplish-black seed cones. Also called eastern red cedar.
2. A tall, evergreen, western North American tree (Thuja plicata) having flattened branches, scalelike opposite leaves, and small, ovoid seed cones. Also called western red cedar.
3. The reddish, aromatic, durable wood of either of these trees.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several North American coniferous trees, esp Juniperus virginiana, a juniper that has fragrant reddish wood used for making pencils, and Thuja plicata, an arbor vitae
2. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called savin. an E North American juniper, Juniperus virginiana, yielding a fragrant, moth-repellent red wood used for making lead pencils and for lining drawers and chests.
2. the western red cedar, Thuja plicata.
3. the wood of these trees.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||red cedar - large valuable arborvitae of northwestern United States|
arborvitae - any of several Asian and North American conifers of the genera Thuja and Thujopsis
|2.||red cedar - small juniper found east of Rocky Mountains having a conic crown, brown bark that peels in shreds, and small sharp needles|
|3.||red cedar - tall tree of the Pacific coast of North America having foliage like cypress and cinnamon-red bark|
|4.||red cedar - fragrant reddish wood of any of various red cedar trees|
cedarwood, cedar - durable aromatic wood of any of numerous cedar trees; especially wood of the red cedar often used for cedar chests
pencil cedar - wood of a pencil cedar tree; used for making pencils
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.