Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A large reddish-brown or grayish deer (Cervus elaphus) of Eurasia and North Africa, having long branching antlers in the male. The closely related North American elk is sometimes considered a subspecies of the red deer.
(Animals) a large deer, Cervus elaphus, formerly widely distributed in the woodlands of Europe and Asia. The coat is reddish-brown in summer and the short tail is surrounded by a patch of light-coloured hair
1. (Placename) a town in S Alberta on the Red Deer River: trade centre for mixed farming, dairying region, and natural gas processing. Pop: 67 707 (2001)
2. (Placename) a river in W Canada, in SW Alberta, flowing southeast into the South Saskatchewan River. Length: about 620 km (385 miles)
3. (Placename) a river in W Canada, flowing east through Red Deer Lake into Lake Winnipegosis. Length: about 225 km (140 miles)
1. a deer, Cervus elaphus, of Europe and Asia, having a reddish brown summer coat.
2. the white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus, in its summer coat.
a city in S central Alberta, in W Canada. 54,425.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||red deer - common deer of temperate Europe and Asia|
hind - a female deer, especially an adult female red deer
brocket - male red deer in its second year