Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The red-colored light that signals traffic to stop.
2. Informal A command to stop.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Automotive Engineering) a signal to stop, esp a red traffic signal in a system of traffic lights
2. a danger signal
3. an instruction to stop or discontinue
a. a red lamp in a window of or outside a house indicating that it is a brothel
b. (as modifier): a red-light district.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a red-colored traffic light used as a signal to stop.
2. an order or directive to halt an action, project, etc.
3. a signal of danger; warning.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||red light - a cautionary sign of danger |
visual signal - a signal that involves visual communication
idiot light - a colored warning light on an instrument panel (as for low oil pressure)
|2.||red light - the signal to stop|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.